Maternity, Adoption & Childcare
For Child's Sake
From time off to adopt and child care assistance, Stanford offers the following options to get your family off to a healthy start:
Stanford's Family Leave program enables eligible parents to take time off under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). For more information, refer to the Stanford University Administrative Guide.
Infant Care Leave
Infant Care Leave is granted at the discretion of your department, and is in addition to other family and medical leave programs. New mothers and fathers can request a leave without pay for up to one year for your infant after:
- The end of your pregnancy disability leave
- Adoption of a new infant
Pregnancy-Related Disability Leave
Pregnancy-related leave is available if your doctor certifies you as unable to work due to a pregnancy-related disability. In such an event:
- You can receive up to four months of leave without pay
- Your department cannot refuse to approve your leave without pay
- If you are unable to return to work within four months, you'll be returned to the same position, or similar, in your department
- You may request additional disability leave as family leave after four months
Find out more about Voluntary Disability Insurance (VDI).
Stanford's Adoption Assistance Program reimburses you for eligible adoption expenses. The program pays up to $10,000 per adoption, with a maximum lifetime benefit of $20,000 per family.
Child care financial assistance programs are available. For information, please refer to these programs:
For more information on adoption assistance and child care, contact the Stanford WorkLife Office.