Taking Time Off
There are many reasons to take time off — sabbatical, maternity leave, vacation and grieving, to name a few. Depending on the type of leave you are taking, you may need to make changes to your coverage status or home address on file with Stanford. You must contact Stanford Benefits within 31 days of the event.
Family Medical Leave is used at the same time as other short-term disability (it runs concurrently), including leave due to work related illness or injury. Eligible employees are assured up to 12 weeks unpaid leave during any 12-month period; the 12-month period begins January 1 of each calendar year.
Family Temporary Disability Insurance
Family Temporary Disability (FTD)Family Temporary Disability Benefits FAQ
Common questions about using Family Temporary Disability (FTD) benefits at Stanford. provides temporary disability insurance benefits to eligible employees who take approved unpaid time off work to care for a seriously ill family member or bond with a new child.
Learn more about Family Temporary Disability Insurance.
There are several options for expectant parents:
Learn more about Maternity Leave options.
Short-term and long-term disability programs are available to provide income protection when you are unable to work due to disability or extended illness.
Learn more about Stanford Disability Programs.
Death Of A Close Family Member
Subject to approval by your department and your eligibility, you may take up to five days leave with pay for absences due to the death of a close family member.
See the Stanford Administrative Guide for more information.
Other Time Off
For the following leave situations, please refer to the Stanford Administrative Guide:
- Court Appearances, Jury Duty, Military Leave, Personal Time Off and Voting
- Floating Holidays
- Sabbatical—Contact your Faculty Affairs Officer
- Seasonal Layoff
- Sick Leave
Medical & Life
What To Do When You Go On Leave
- Contact Stanford Benefits for information and help filing claims.
- For Paid leave: your health and life benefits continue with no change, except your dependent care FSA stops.
- For Unpaid leave: log on to MyBenefits in the upper right corner of this page within 31 days of the date your leave begins if you want to change or drop coverage.
- Log into MyBenefits above to make changes to your Beneficiary Designation for life insurance coverage if appropriate.
- Go to Stanford Retirement Manager to enroll, drop or change your contribution level.
Benefits Billing While On Leave
For information on billing while on leave, please contact:
The Vita Companies
- Stanford Retirement Manager
- Stanford Administrative Guide
- Family Temporary Disability Benefits FAQFamily Temporary Disability Benefits FAQ
Common questions about using Family Temporary Disability (FTD) benefits at Stanford.
- CA Paid Family Leave Insurance BrochureCA Paid Family Leave Insurance Brochure
Flyer about paid family leave; produced by the state of California.
- Maternity FAQMaternity FAQ
Common questions about taking leave and other issues related to maternity during the time you are a Stanford employee.
- VDI Statement of CoverageVDI Statement of Coverage
Brief summary of short-term disability plan available for California employees at Stanford.